The Durham Castle Society was formed as the Durham Castlemen's Society in 1947 by a group of Castlemen who had been at College just before the Second World War. When women were admitted to the College in 1987 the name was changed to the Durham Castle Society.
The aim of the Society is to maintain contacts and provide a channel for the interchange and expression of views, to sustain members in an interest in the life and well-being of the College, and to extend its influence
The focal point of the Society is its annual reunion in Durham, now in September, each year. At this meeting the Society's business is transacted, the Annual Reunion Dinner is held and Members have the opportunity to meet, mix and reminisce. Each year the Society publishes a magazine Castellum to stimulate interest in the Society and the College and to provide members with details of current College matters, and news of the whereabouts and achievements of Members.
The Society has the well-being of the College at heart. Over the years it has made donations to the Library, the Chapel, the College Prize Fund and the Boat Club. The Society also raised money for the Moatside Court development, the Garden Stairs/Fellows Garden project which provided additional student accommodation, and for the West Courtyard Common Room.
For a life membership fee of £30, members receive a free membership card with benefits such as discounts to local businesses as well as 20% off booking B&B at Castle. With this card, Castle alumni will always be able to come back and visit the College. Members will also be invited to events such as the September Reunion Weekend, and a number of other reunions and events throughout the year as well as online access to the annual magazine ‘Castellum’ and the website.