College History

 

The Durham Castle Society was formed as the Durham Castlemen's Society in 1947 by a group of Castlemen who had been at College just before the Second World War. When women were admitted to the College in 1987 the name was changed to the Durham Castle Society.

Castellum 1948 edition

Each year the Society publishes a magazine Castellum to stimulate interest in the Society and the College and to provide members with details of current College matters, and news of the whereabouts and achievements of Members. The first edition was published in 1948 under the editorship of Rev. S. F. M. Chase.

The first President and Chairman of the Society was Master Macfarlane-Grieve.

Membership of the Society is open to anyone with an academic connection to the College, and the committee continues to be filled by alumni volunteers.


The Society has the well-being of the College at heart. Over the years it has made donations to the Library, the Chapel, the College Prize Fund and the Boat Club. The Society also raised money for the Moatside Court development, the Garden Stairs/Fellows Garden project which provided additional student accommodation, and for the West Courtyard Common Room. 

 

/images/moatside-appeal.jpg

Original brochure for the Castlemen's Society Appeal
for the 'Sutton Site' (Moatside Court) Development.

 

Durham Castle Society

Durham University