Durham Castle Society
The Castle Society plays an integral role in bringing Castle’s alumni community together, providing much needed support for the College and our current students. All Castle graduates are members of the Castle Society, with some being more actively involved than others. There are currently opportunities to join the Executive Committee and if you are looking for a more active role, the position of Secretary is open. Expressions of interest are most welcome and for more information on the roles please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Set up in 1947 by a group of Castlemen, the Castle Society was originally known as the Durham Castlemen’s Society. The name was changed to its current form forty years later, in 1987, when women were first admitted to the college.
The Castellum plays a vital role in keeping the members informed about College matters, as well as members’ news and achievements. The magazine has been produced from the inception of the Society, with the first edition appearing in 1948, under the editorship of Rev. S. F. M. Chase.
Historically the Society also made donations to a number of College initiatives, including: the Library, the Chapel, the College Prize Fund and the Boat Club.